Anna Airy (1882-1964) was one of the first women officially commissioned as a war artist in the 1st World War, producing outstanding works depicting scenes in munitions factories.
Anna moved to Playford in 1933 and in 1945 became the first woman President of Ipswich Art Club (now Society), a position she held until her death. Described as one of the most talented and versatile artists of her generation, Anna's influence was immense. She was a powerful and commanding figure.
To commemorate her interest and support of art students, an annual Anna Airy Award competition was established which is open to young artists.
The Art School, next door to the Museum in High Street, produced many of the artists who were members of the Art Club, which purchased in 1880 the building on the other side of the museum to exhibit their paintings.